The Right way to Scale
Preserve your storage investment with Spectra's TranScale® architecture, the only storage designed with your growth in mind.
Data growth is endless, and cost-effectively scaling storage is becoming a top priority for businesses and operations worldwide. Keeping up with unpredictable data growth is a daunting task.
Organizations want to avoid making capital investments in storage that are far beyond their short-term capacity requirements, yet they must be prepared for the unexpected. Designed with your growth in mind, Spectra TranScale has been developed to preserve your initial investment in storage by providing a solution that addresses both your short-term and long-term storage needs.
Spectra uses TranScale in our Mid-Range T-Series libraries by interchanging the expensive components between the T200, T380 and T680 libraries. As you grow, you continue to use your original tape drives, power supplies, TeraPacks and media in your new library. The frame is the only major component that changes when you are ready to upgrade to a larger T-Series library. TranScale provides a cost-effective lifetime investment in storage, allowing you to scale your hardware, software and training to make your capacity upgrades quick, seamless and affordable.
Spectra T-Series Mid-Range Libraries can:
- Start with 50 tape slots and scale up to as many as 670 slots.
- Scale up to as many as 12 drives.
Don't stop there. With the TranScale architecture, you can upgrade to a larger T-Series Library and preserve your investment by continuing to use the expensive library components. Interchange the:
- Power Supplies
- Interfaces (Robotic Interface Module)
Spectra T-Series Mid-Range BlueScale environment is the library's core intelligence. BlueScale technology is backed by a decade's work in data protection with tape and disk libraries. Its intelligence provides the Spectra T-Series current innovative features, as well as its ability to support new technologies as they evolve. The BlueScale environment supports:
- Integrated BlueScale Encryption that supplies hardware-based encryption through LTO-5 or LTO-6 hardware and total key management with no external hardware or software
- Partitioning through Shared Library Services (SLS) without external hardware or software
- Capacity on Demand (CoD), which lets you add capacity as you need it and when you need it, simply by logging onto the Spectra Logic Web site and requesting a key that you use to enable new slots
- Hot-swap drives and controllers, redundant components, and high-density modular design
- Guaranteed on-time support, including an assisted self-maintenance (ASM) option and AutoSupport
- WORM-compatible media with LTO
- Observatory, Remote Library Controller (RLC), and graphical touch-screen front panel to simplify library management and use
- Connectivity with Fibre Channel and SCSI drives
- Compatible with all major operating systems, backup software packages, and standard data center racks
- Ground-breaking BlueScale EnergyAudit™ power monitoring feature
Spectra T-Series Mid-Range libraries supply a one-step encryption and backup process, BlueScale Encryption, as a standard feature—letting you protect your data using federally-approved AES-256 encryption while backing up your data. BlueScale Encryption is the only truly integrated encryption for data stored on tape, and lets you seamlessly and affordably add encryption to your backup strategy without changing any existing backup policies and requires no additional hardware or software.
Spectra Logic helps you manage your tape media by giving you tools to proactively detect potential media errors well before they happen. Available only in Spectra Logic's T-Series libraries, Media Lifecycle Management records 30 data points every time a tape is loaded, giving you vital statistical and diagnostic information that helps you proactively manage your tape media throughout its life. By utilizing our Certified Media and BlueScale interface together, you can manage, track, and report all facets of tape usage from creation to retirement — all consolidated within the same application you use to manage your library.
Get an additional level of performance and health monitoring for your library by visually monitoring the interior of your library with the web-based BlueScale Vision camera. BlueScale Vision allows you to remotely observe import/export operations, tape mounts, cartridge moves, and robotic operations—all in real time.
LTO-6: Addressing your storage needs
With a capacity of 2.5 TB native and 6.25 TB compressed, LTO-6 drives and media help you consolidate your storage, manage less media, and have room to grow in the future. Experience shorter backup windows and transfer rates up to 160MB/s (400 MB/s compressed), delivering an average rate of 576 GB/hr (1.44 TB/hr compressed). Ultrium LTO Technology’s long-term, committed roadmap offers several future releases of LTO. With future generations, you can expect higher performance standards, increasing storage capacities and backwards compatibility. Learn More About LTO-6
Features at a Glance
- Scale from 200 up to 670 tape slots
- Add as many as 12 drives
- Store up to 4.2 PB (2.5:1 compression) with LTO-6 in a single rack
- Supports mixed LTO media
- I/O Controller-based (QIP) connectivity, supporting Fibre Channel or Fibre Channel Direct connect drives.
|Model||Dimensions & Weight|
Rack mountable with standard 19" rack - 20U
Single Frame Dimensions: H: 35" W: 17.5" D: 41" (20U, 89cm H x 44.4cm W x 104cm D)
Weight: 230 lbs (Base frame, no drives or media*)
Rack mountable with standard 19" rack - 28U
Single Frame Dimensions: H: 49" W: 17.5" D: 41" (28U, 125cm H x 44.4cm W x 104cm D)
Weight: 305 lbs (Base frame, no drives or media*)
Standard 19" rack included - 42U
Single Frame Dimensions: H: 73.5" W: 17.5" D: 48" (42U, 204.5cm H x 61cm W x 122cm D)
Weight: 765 lbs (Base frame, no drives or media*)
Shipped and installed in rack, sizes and weight include rack
|*Drive/Sled weight:12lbs, TeraPack Case (with Media) weight: 6lbs|
Power Requirements for the T200, T380, T680:
- Single Unit and 12 LTO-5 Drives: 637 Watts AC (max operating) 110-240v AC/6.25-13.6 Amps (RMS)
- Heat Dissipation: 2,171 BTU/hr (max operating, same configuration)
Interfaces for the T200, T380, T680
- Fibre Channel - 4 Gb/s and 8 Gb/s (LTO-4, LTO-5)
Reliability Stats for the T200, T380, T680:
- Mean Cycle Between Failures (MCBF): 1,000,000
- Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF): 250,000 power-on hrs.
Mean Time to Repair (MTTR):
- 3 minutes for hot-swap components
- 30 minutes average for non-hotswap components
|Model||Minimum Slots||Maximum Slots||Media||Maximum Capacity|
|Drive||Model||Maximum Drives||Maximum Throughput|
|T200||8 Full Height||
|T380||12 Full Height||
|T680||12 Full Height||
|T200||8 Full Height||
|T380||12 Full Height||
|T680||12 Full Height||
*LTO-5 values calculated using 2:1 data compression.
+ LTO-6 Values calculated using 2.5:1 Compression.
Spectra T-Series Mid-Range libraries are warranted for one year from date of shipment from the factory. This warranty includes a SpectraGuard Next Business Day On Site service contract. SpectraGuard Next Business Day On Site service includes the following:
- Access to a SpectraGuard technical representative any business day (not including evenings, weekends, or holidays) from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (customer local time).
- Service visit from a field service representative, upon verification that the unit has malfunctioned. If Spectra Logic is notified by 4:00 p.m. (customer local time), a field service representative will be dispatched that day for arrival the following business day before noon.
The following additional service options are available to customers purchasing a T-Series Mid-Range library.
SpectraGuard Same Business Day On Site
- Round-the-clock telephone to a technical support representative – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- Four-hour response, on-site service 5 days a week from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
SpectraGuard Four Hour On Site
- 24-hour, seven-day-a-week, 365-day-a-year telephone access to a SpectraGuard technical representative (including evenings, weekends, and holidays).
- Upon verification that the unit has malfunctioned, a field service representative will be dispatched to the site within four hours of the dispatch request.
Self Maintenance Options
Believing that most users would prefer to have control over their library uptime, Spectra Logic products are designed so that all major components are customer replaceable. With Spectra Logic's Assisted Self Maintenance (ASM) program, spare components are placed at your facility, ready to be installed by you, when you need them. More about ASM
The following Assisted Self Maintenance options are available to customers purchasing a T-Series Mid-Range library. These options can be purchased to supplement the on-site service options above.
Assisted Self Maintenance Basic
- Select group of field-replaceable parts stocked on-site (drives, QIP, air filters).
Assisted Self Maintenance Gold
- Full set of field-replaceable parts stocked on-site (drives, QIP, air filter, robotics, control module).
Warranty and Service Limitations
All standard warranties and service uplifts are subject to the limitations, disclaimers, and additional terms and conditions set forth in the Warranty and Hardware Support Agreement.
Have questions? Ready for next steps? Contact Us!